- Attaining a better understanding of yourself, your goals and values
- Developing an understanding of what has been causing problems in your life
- Finding ways to advocate for yourself or your child
- Learning new strengths you didn't realize you had
- Finding new resources to assist you
Do I really need testing? I just need to try a little harder and I will figure out what is wrong.
Why do people get tested and how do I know if testing is a good idea for me?
There are a number of reasons that children and adults come to testing. Some adults come becasue they are struggling to adjust to going back to college. Some parents bring their children becasue they are having difficulties in school and don't understand why. Another reason an individual may come to be tested is because they are finding they have difficulty with regulating their mood or support understanding why they have mood swings. A parent may bring their child in because they suspect their child has ADHD and want guidance on how to handle it. Finally, some parents may suspect their child is gifted or possibly have a learning disability and need support on how to advocate for their child's needs .
Sometimes a child may be told by their teacher that they are having difficulties in processing or learning. Parents have also been told their kids have trouble in retrieving newly learned information. We will help you to discern if your child is experiencing a learning disability in a specific area (reading, math, coprehension), ADD/ADHD, or if your child has a processing issue. This distinction is important because the information will help you and your children's teachers to best determine why your child is having so much dificulty in making progress in school. Pediatricians and others will make specific referrals for targeted interventions to provide support, education and possibly therapy.
- What are my benefits for psychological testing?
- What kind of fees should I expect?
- Does my insurance require a preauthorizaion (an okay from the companny before testing can begin)?
- What are my out-of-pocket costs for testing?
- Is approval required in order to complete testing (if ACAPS is not in your network of providers)?